old fire house & siren
Some past volunteers
First Tanker 1
American La France Eng-1
Old MACK ENG-1
Previous Medic 1
A Brief History
Washington Volunteer Fire & Rescue Inc. was be established in Rappahannock County in 1939 as “Company 1.” The company was initially housed on Main Street, across from the Courthouse and moved to the current location off Warren Avenue in the late 1970’s. The existing station was built by the then members to include a hall capable of housing community events. In 2004, we completed the addition of 3-bay building to house fire apparatus and continued to use the 2 bays of the existing building for Ambulances. We were growing and apparatus was getting bigger so the addition met our needs..
Meet our Volunteers
We have almost 50 active volunteers. Our volunteers come from many different backgrounds: from high school students to a retired Coast Guard officer, from VDOT employees to active Sheriff’s Office Deputies. They are all united in the desire to provide rapid, compassionate and professional quality emergency services to their community.
For 2017, our officers are:
- President: Bill Walton
- Vice President: John Lesinski
- Treasurer: Kaye Clark
- Secretary: John Jamieson
- Chief: Ann Spieker
- Assistant Chief: Bobby Smoot
- 2nd Assistant Chief: Jackie Estes
Other officers are:
- Captain – Fire: Jonathan Bankston
- Lieutenant – Fire: Sean Knick
- EMS Assistant Chief :Russ Collins
- EMS Captain : Marcus Deal
- EMS Lieutenant : Virginia Valentine
Rappahannock Fire and Rescue Association delegates are Russ Collins, Virginia Valentine ; alternate delegates are Ann Spieker, Bill Walton and John Jamieson.
- Virginia Valentine
- Russ Collins
- Shirley Franey
Want to know more about our equipment? Read here.